Friday, January 21, 2011

HSG Hysterosalpingogram

Hystero=Uterus
Salpingo=Fallopian Tube

I had my much dreaded HSG procedure last week to determine if I had any anatomical issues as to why I've had miscarriages and why I'm currently not pregnant yet. If you have a queezy stomach, don't read the following paragraph.

The HSG procedure involves placement of a speculum into the vagina to expose the cervix. The cervix is then cleansed three times with a Betadine solution. A thin catheter is insterted through the cervix into the uterus where a small balloon is then inflated to hold it in place. A contrast dye is then pushed through the tube, filling the uterus, and in normal cases it travels through the fallopian tubes where it spills out into the abdomen. You can see all this on a TV monitor because an XRAY machine scans the abdomen as the dye is pushed through. In cases where a woman has a blocked fallopian tube, the dye would not travel through. Here are some pictures:

My HSG showed no anomalies. The dye went through and spilled out both sides. From what I've read, women who've had a blocked fallopian tube say it hurt when the dye was pushed through. I however didn't feel the dye because I had no blockages. The procedure was uncomfortable to say the least. Scott was able to go into the procedure room with me, as I was very nervous. Parts of it hurt, such as the balloon inflation, which is the common complaint. The procedure was about a total of 5 minutes from insertion to removal, so thank God!

It is said that the chances of becoming pregnant increase 30% in the first 3 months following the HSG because it opens everything up, or "Roto Rooters". So we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment